Door hitting eyebrow

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Diving Duck
    Participant

After installing the eyebrows I noticed they looked low compared to the doorways.  So  I installed the doors and sure enough the door on the port side is hitting the eyebrow.  I do not want to remove and re-attach the eyebrow because if anything it is a tiny bit too high already, and even 1/16 or a little more above planar.  So there’s no way to raise it.

The only solution I can think of is to shave it back until the door clears, and then shave it the same across most of the length to make it look right.  I’ll need to shave the one on the starboard side to match–and besides, that door could also begin hitting at some point.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Any better ideas about the solution?

friz
    Participant

I am considering leaving them off on mine. My fear is that they will get torn up in use anyway.

tomtnt
    Participant

i had to shave my door… looks nice though, I really like the eyebrow

Eric
    Participant

My doors just miss the eyebrows – zero clearance but no friction.   The doors clear it if you aren’t inadvertently lifting on the handle as you close the doors. I am going to live with it, and if I have any troubles down the road, I’ll shave the eyebrows 1/8″ over the doors channels.the amount shaved towards the front and back.  I like the eyebrows, feel they are(glassed) quite robust, and feel they protect and strengthen that panel 2/panel3 chine considerably, not to mention the fact that they keep rain out of the top of the doorseal channels. Worst case scenario is that they will bear the brunt of any abuse before the chine does.

derek0
    Participant

I have not installed mine yet, but I did make a measurement along the panel 2 – 3 junction from the hatch to the eyebrow locator notch and it is much more than the spec’d 7.5″ (as I recall) stated in the manual.  If I mount the eyebrow starting midway between the notch and the galley hatch cut it looks like I will get sufficient door clearance due to the thinner width of the eyebrow at that point.  I am wondering if the inaccurate position of this eyebrow indicator notch has anything to do with the mysterious mis-location of the bulkhead relative to the galley hatch cutout marks… Remember that issue?  Anyway, I can’t see the harm in mounting the eyebrow a few inches stern-ward for the sake of door clearance.

friz
    Participant

Good to know, Thanks!

Eric
    Participant

I agree with Derek. If you haven’t yet installed them just install them a bit further back. If as I have you already installed them, shave them a bit if you have to.  They’ll still look and function great.

cpieper
    Participant

I recall having to shave mine a bit. I think they still look nice — I wouldn’t be concerned about shaving a bit off.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.