Do I need to varnish under the headliner?

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Do I need to varnish under the headliner?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rachelurner
    Participant

I’m getting to the point of finishing my interior and I’m wondering, do I really need to varnish underneath the headliner. I’ll of course be varnishing the bulkhead, footwell, etc. but I’m planning to install a cork headliner with rubber cement and hopefully never take it down. There shouldn’t be any light underneath, so why bother with a UV coating?

Am I being obtuse about something? Has anyone forgone varnish under the headliner? How’s that holding up?

All insights appreciated!

CWStevens
    Participant

While there won’t be UV on the interior, you will have moisture collecting on the interior walls, and the adhesives used for the headliner may interact with the epoxy.

On the recommendation of CLC, we used a water based polycrylic.  It’s less toxic and durable.  Amazon product: B000BZYYH4

rachelurner
    Participant

Thank you! That makes total sense. Did you find that finish easier to work with than varnish? I’m assuming there are fewer fumes and it’s a little less expensive. Any other benefits?

PopeyeTheTrailerMan
    Participant

FWIW, on CLC kayaks I’ve built I’ve attached the same foam that is used for the Teardrop headliner directly to unvarnished epoxy using contact cement. The space regularly gets filled with water, though not for more than a few hours at a time. After 14 years, no problems.

Just make sure that the epoxy is completely cured before applying the contact cement.

CWStevens
    Participant

It’s *way* easier to work with than varnish.  We still did roll-and-tip (foam brush), but that was mainly just to get any bubbles out and smooth the finish which isn’t entirely necessary for non-visible areas… But hey, I’m an Engineer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.