Cutting out doors part 2

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    madebymike60
    Participant

I’ve been woodworking for many years and have used circular and jig saws to follow lines to cut wood but sometimes I just want a little extra assurance that my cut will be a good one. So when it came time for the doors, I tried to use a straight edge whenever possible. The challenge is clamping it to the shell of the camper to follow the lines of the doors. Another post shows how to use clamps to hold a straight edge which I did on the other side of the camper. (I’ve tried pasting the active link and just the address but keeping getting a ‘pending evaluation’ message after submitting so search for a recent post about cutting doors if you want to see it.)

I started on this side by partially cutting out the window but realized the clamps would be in the way of the saw (for this cut on this side) so I went with double sided tape. This could work for any of the lines on either side I believe whereas the ‘clamp method’ only works for certain cuts. I used two pieces of double sided tape and it held fine, just don’t push too hard against your straight edge. You do not want it moving at all while you cut. The masking tape is there to show the cut but also let me mark where to put the straight edge – mine is a piece of aluminum that I’m planning to make into a roof rack for the camper. It takes some time plus trial and error to set up but the result should be worth it, since the doors are one of the more ‘visible’ parts of the camper and you’ll see them pretty much every time you enter.

Admin – Trying to submit this with a link to my other post resulted in a ‘pending evaluation’ message after hitting ‘Submit’. I’m not sure why but adding anything more than just one picture (another picture or hyperlink) consistently results in that message, for me at least. This has now happened about five times, going back two or three weeks. Any help would be appreciated.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by madebymike60.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by clcnancy.
    comccoy
    Participant

I used a Dremel Saw Max mini circular saw and a straight edge where I could and finished off with a jigsaw.  I was surprised at how much cleaner the jigsaw cuts were. IF I ever built another one I would start one of the straight runs with a tiny thin circular saw cut and do the rest with the jigsaw with lots of patience, I would also tape down each section as I did it as I had some issue where the tension in the plywood shifted as it cut and I got some unexpected waves I had to try and sand out. No one else really notices but I do.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.