Custom Portholes

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kimf
    Participant

So we completed the windows on the camper. We purchased a circle template from Woodcraft and routed a perfect frame. The frame has an inset of acrylic between them and are help together with barrel nuts. The inside inside the camper will allow an inset foam piece for privacy and insulation.

madebymike60
    Participant

Porthole windows look great on this teardrop and I like your contrasting red. All my trim has been black – safer but not as bold. I’m glad someone came up with and shared the idea for portholes a while back. I went with ones that open. Mine (like yours) are a little above head level (while sleeping) and allow a nice cross breeze, especially with the overhead fan going.

jb
    Participant

Mike, looking good! Where did you get the reading light? I purchased the “puck” light from CLC but found it to be way too dim for a general interior flood light and too directional for a reading light so I won’t be using it. I was thinking of adding a small shelf to the side and mount a light there but I think I like your solution better.

madebymike60
    Participant

Both lights were found on Amazon. The gooseneck is from ‘Obeaming’. Here’s the full description – ’12 Volt LED Reading Light, Dimmable Bedside Reading Lamp for RV Boat Camper Van Travel Trailer Truck Cabin, 12V Flexible Gooseneck Spotlight with Push Switch & USB Charger Port, 12-24V (Matte Black)’.

The other is – ‘LED Camping Lantern Rechargeable, 280LM, 3 Light Modes, 3000mAh Power Bank, Waterproof, Perfect Mini Flashlight with Magnetic Base for Hurricane Emergency, Outdoor, Hiking, Home and Car by LE’

I like both, each for its own purpose. The lanterns have rechargeable batteries and can conveniently recharge from the USB port on the gooseneck lights, which run off my 12 volt batteries.

keaner21
    Participant

Interesting method of mounting that porthole, every other one I’ve seen opens from the outside.

madebymike60
    Participant

Mine open like a couple of others I saw on this forum but to me it makes sense that they open from the inside and can be opened more or less (while you’re inside) depending on rain, temperature, etc. Also, I wouldn’t want someone outside to be able to open a window to the camper, even if it’s a small one.

madebymike60
    Participant

jb, I made small wooden shelves for right below my portholes but didn’t install them because it was one more thing to cut the headliner around and the circle was hard enough, especially while covering the piece with fabric. Plus I didn’t factor in the headliner thickness when making the shelves so they would have almost been too narrow to be useful. I might try attaching them to the fabric somehow so they can fold up when needed but for now I’ll use the porthole door.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.