Cooling the camper

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Daniel
    Participant

Hey fellow campers,

I am planning some trips to the south, in the summer, so I am concerned about excess heat inside the camper.

So, I am curious to find out about your solutions to this problem.

Has anyone tried to use a Peltier module?

boxerteam
    Participant

i have the exact same interest with my clc teardrop… kit just received…

I do not know anything about peltier, but after a lot of investigation i am very interested in the battery (or ac) operated zero breeze unit…see zerobreeze.com.

we will have a fairly extensive solar solution for power including recharging the zerobreeze battery, and we will have a second zerobreeze battery backup.

i want to avoid the noise of the typical window unit significantly installed within the teardrop “cabin.”  The zerobreeze unit sits outside the  cabin with only small ductwork directing air in and out of the teardrop.

i hope this helps…

kind regards,

bob fincher

sandman
    Participant

I built a pair of screen doors for my camper that seem to work pretty well…unless it’s raining. I open one of the doors and insert the screen door that anchors in place with a couple slide bolts leaving the regular door open. We enter and exit through the other regular door. Still waiting to decide whether to add a mini-split air conditioner. My mini fridge operates on a peltier system and while it doesn’t use a lot of power it also doesn’t cool to a consistent temperature.

Daniel
    Participant

@sandman – nice job on the screen doors. Regarding the Peltier fridge, even if the temp is not constant, does it cool significantly?

sandman
    Participant

The cooling seems to be a function of the ability to dissipate the heat. When the hatch is closed and there is limited ventilation for the fridge..it doesn’t do too well. I am also trying to dissipate heat from the inverter/charger into the same galley space so that doesn’t help the situation. I’ve ordered a small cooling fan that I plan to install in the wall between the galley and cabin that I hope will help the situation. The fridge is a “Cooluli Infinity Black 15 Liter Compact Portable Cooler Warmer Mini Fridge for Bedroom, Office, Dorm, Car – Great for Skincare & Cosmetics (110-240V/12V)” that I bought on Amazon. If the hatch is open the fridge does fine.

southcitystl
    Participant

Hey @sandman, nice setup! Did you fiberglass the bulkhead where you hung the inverter?

sandman
    Participant

Hi southcitystl…no glass, just resin on the bulkhead. There is glass tape on the joint below the battery box as recommended in the book.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve got a ZeroBreeze unit I plan on installing on my camper once it’s finished. I’m thinking about placing it in the CLC tongue box, then venting it out of a few mushroom vents on the box, which would then hook in to the front camper vents via flexible ducts air that could be hooked up on site.  Only downside I see is the need for 4 vents in the box (cool air+return and then another two for fresh air+exhaust for the condenser.

If that doesn’t work out, I’ll just set it under the camper at night and still run ducts to the mushroom vents.

I can say I’ve been using it in a 90 degree shop inside the camper before I’ve cut the doors and it cools it down to a very comfortable temperature in less than 20 minutes!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.