Bubbles in glass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Khemosabi
    Participant

Hey everyone, I would love some help and advice. I completed my first fiberglass across the center top of my trailer. I had not been able to see the bubble under the glass till I started sanding. Any advice when it comes to this issue would be great. Will they just be unseeable after a few coats? I really want my final trailer to show the wood I would hate to have to paint it at this point. Bubbles

Khemosabi
    Participant

Can’t quite figure out how to add images on here so this is a link to my gallery. Thanks again!

https://imagebydenise.com/images

mpilone
    Participant

I don’t think they will be “unseeable” but you may also be looking with a lot more critical eye than the average person checking out your trailer 🙂

I’m no expert but I think you have two options:

1. Try using a syringe to inject epoxy into the bubbles to fill them.
    2. Sand through the glass to expose the bubbles, then patch with a small square of glass slightly larger than the bubble/exposed hole.

I definitely wouldn’t consider painting yet if that’s not what you want. It will require a little more work, but you can definitely expose and patch those bubbles.

-mike

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by mpilone. Reason: Fixed typo
    Khemosabi
    Participant

Thanks, I do tend to be critical so that’s great advice. I did see some info about injecting them from some boat builder videos. I may do a combination based on the size of the bubbles.

ArtisticAdam
    Participant

Not an expert here but it looks to me like the glass was not saturated enough. Id try injecting first and if that doesn’t solve the white spots then sand and patch. GL!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.