bicycle rack?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    captsodie
    Participant

I am new to the group and getting ready to build a camper. Has anyone put a bicycle rack on the back of the trailer with the camper?  I am trying to figure out how to get a tow hitch bicycle rack mounted on the back the camper.

stretchMike
    Participant

Captsodie, greetings and welcome to the forum.

Regarding your bike rack idea: a BIG CAUTION.

As you may be aware the key to safe towing is tow hitch weight. Various sources recommend at least 10-15% of trailer weight on the hitch ball. So with and 800 – 900lb trailer that is @80 – 135lb. Less than that and you risk sway with disastrous results.

With a full size trailer adding a rack at the back would likely have little impact given the much greater weight of the trailer. But with our tiny trailers a hitch, rack and two bikes could add @ 100lb leveraged out over the back. Imagine doing that on a teeter totter – the hitch weight would be much reduced and you have introduced a big pendulum at the back.

I also wanted to be able to take bikes on trips. My solution was to place a receptor for a rack at the front of the trailer. I used an old rack and had a vertical receiver welded on to my frame. Rack is easy to attach and remove. Two bikes fit across the frame. Need to take care with geometry of turning circle.

Other alternatives are to roof mount on your vehicle and there are also double receptacles so you could have a tow hitch and rack receiver on the back of your vehicle.

All the best, Mike

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.