attaching teardrop to trailer

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum attaching teardrop to trailer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tomtnt
    Participant

how is the teardrop cabin attached to the trailer?  Bolted through from the bottom?  trying to figure out if a certain trailer will work…

John C. Harris
    Keymaster

Depends on whether the camper shell fits between the trailer fenders or not. If not, you’ll bolt through a pair of stringers included in the kit. If yes, you’ll bolt right through the bottom panel.  But it’s bolts either way.

tomtnt
    Participant

so with the stringers, it can sit on a harbor freight 4×8 trailer over the fenders?

ONE BAG TRAVELER
    Participant

Is anyone concerned with (or experienced problems) “isolating ” the shell from the trailer?  I have read accounts of fiberglass cracking due to vibrations or twisting when the shell is bolted to trailer frame “too tight” (not the CLC design) .  Am I correct that the “stitch and glue” design allows for “flexing” without danger of cracking the fiberglass?  Thanks.  DZ

cpieper
    Participant

I haven’t mounted my camper to a trailer yet, but looking ahead I see that there are some rubber vibration dampers that go between the camper and the mounting surface. This will help dampen high frequency vibrations. Regarding the stitch and glue (wood/fiberglass/epoxy composite) construction’s flexibility, it is less “brittle” than pure fiberglass because of its layered construction. Thin layers are able to bend without breaking… The structure is able to bend elastically (without permanent damage) a fair amount, so unless the trailer is bending a significant amount, I believe the stitch and glue construction should be more forgiving than a fiberglass shell. I base my belief on my experience with my composite boat structures and also happen  to be a structural analyst in my day job…

ONE BAG TRAVELER
    Participant

Thanks for the input.  Please post any info regarding sources for dampers. Cheers. DZ

John C. Harris
    Keymaster

>>>>so with the stringers, it can sit on a harbor freight 4×8 trailer over the fenders?

That is correct. The manual actually walks you through mounting the Teardrop Camper on a Harbor Freight trailer.

Teardrop Camper Kit

JakeM
    Participant

John,

The diagram for Harbor Freight trailers doesn’t include any kind of vibration dampeners as mentioned earlier in this thread.  Should vibration dampening be included somehow?

Jake

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.