Anyone stitch the hatch down?

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Anyone stitch the hatch down?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    RCRICH
    Participant

RCRICH
    Participant

The top of the camper and the hatch have holes for stiches but the manual says nothing about using them. Did you guys use them?

Thanks

crcurler
    Participant

Hi RCICH

Great timing, I was about to start the glueing process on my hatch.

I read through the the book and there was no indication that the authors stitched the hatch in place. However, I plan on stitching the corners in place (two on each side). When I was lining this up I had to drill holes in both the hatch and through the trailer -> the holes did not align well.

Just my 2 cents, and I’m off to do it. I will let you know how it goes once it is cured (will be this weekend).

Best wishes for your build,

joe

crcurler
    Participant

Hi – as a quick follow up. I drilled the holes but I did not end up stitching it in place. I just placed weights on top. This way it the glue would be under the Ender before placing, and it covered the holes (wires would not be removable so I skipped it.

ArtisticAdam
    Participant

I believe those holes were from a much earlier step when you stitched the #1 & #2 panels to the intercostal mold framework (page 45 of the manual).

RCRICH
    Participant

On my kit i  have holes in the hatch that line up with the top of the camper.

I might have to use them as it seems the hole in the camper is cut perfect but it seems a little large.

RCRICH
    Participant

cureboy
    Participant

I stitched. Easier to align the pieces. If you want to remove the wires, just use a torch to warm them , they will easely removable.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by cureboy.
    ButchFNJ
    Participant

I also have the holes in place to stitch the top hatch and plan to use them since the cut out is almost exactly as big as the hatch itself making it almost impossible to line up with the 1/4 of an inch of overlap all around! I wish I had dry fitted it to the hole before I filleted it and glassed the inside:( They make it look like you have plenty of play in the book!!Hatch bezel

CWStevens
    Participant

I had better results with a low wattage solder iron (pencil).  No charring on the surrounding wood, and the heated wire was easily removed with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.