Any suggestions for fixing my bad glass work?

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Any suggestions for fixing my bad glass work?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ButchFNJ
    Participant

Slow going on my camper. Full time job, wrong weather so and so forth! Did a good job on the top the other day. About 60 degrees in my mother in laws garage. Last night however on the first side I thought it would go faster since it is only a single layer but it was 70 degrees and I think my wife and I were doing to large a sections and she got ahead of me with the roller and I was to slow with the squeegee and we ended up with some long air bubbles. I was thinking of sanding down that section and reglassing just that panel. Any suggestions,comments or criticisms would be appreciated!

western_flyer
    Participant

Try searching You Tube for answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PKn-59pHNM

In my opinion very small bubbles are cosmetic but not structural concerns.  I got more than a few bubbles in some of the taping and the over the top glass. I filled some, sanded out a few and ignored most. If  you are planning to leave your TD bright, I’m not, you have to decide which of the small bubble are in cosmetically critical areas.

rovineye
    Participant

There are epoxy syringes you can fill the bubble with. I’ve never used them and don’t know much about them, I just know they are out there.

https://www.clcboats.com/forum/clcforum/thread/5438.html

abrightwell
    Participant

Ooof… that’s rough. If it were me, I’d just sand and patch the bubbles. I had a few blemishes that I just couldn’t live with. Here is one of those where a thread from a towel I used to wipe it down somehow got caught and I didn’t catch it before putting the glass on. When everything cured it had created a bubble and to me was just an eye sore (I mean who wants to see such a thing in their finish, right?). I sanded it down and far enough out to make a good transition, then I laid two layers of a patch at the same time (since it was on the top). The effort was minimal at best and the end result is that you would never know tell it was there.

If you DO decide to remove the glass entirely from that side, I’d recommend a heat gun and a scraper/putty knife. It makes quick and easy work of removing epoxy/fiberglass (there might be a video or two out there on it). It will just peel right off. Just go slow and be careful not to damage the wood and of course sand/feather out the edges so that it blends.

Good luck! 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.