Alternative Kitchens

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    wcammack
    Participant

Hi all,

As I wait out the cold season up here in Vermont, I’m starting to plan out what I want my kitchen to look like for my camper. I opted to design my own, instead of going with the galley module option provided by CLC. I’m curious what other people have done with the galley space. I’m a professional cook, so I really want to maximize the space for cooking. I do like all the storage the CLC galley module has, but I want a little more flexibility with the space for cooking. I’m thinking about constructing an additional counter that would hook onto the edge of the galley and extend outward, forming a sort of L-shaped kitchen. Other features I’m thinking I’ll include are a Coleman two burner gas stovetop, a large cutting board, and maybe a space for a water jug. Also just trying to figure out how to maximize storage space (I have lots of cooking gear like a dutch oven, emersion blender, pasta roller, etc.)…

Anyways, I’d love to see/hear what others have come up with. I’m open to any suggestions or ideas, Thanks!

wudboatVT
    Participant

@wcammack,

Wondering how your kitchen turned out. I’m in the pre-build “phase” and also considering doing something a little more custom than the CLC option. Share photos if you can.

Andrew
    Participant

Hi wcammack,

I only just saw this post so sorry for the late response – maybe some of this info might still be useful.

I think building your own kitchen is a good idea.While the CLC module looks good it is very expensive for what it is and in practice I found that the comparment sizes (e.g. the plate shelf) were too small for the camping wares that I already have and indeed a bit small for any decent sized plates anyway. I did modify mine slightly by using the space where the speakers go for a built in cutlery drawer on one side and and additional open storage area on the other.

What I have found to be the biggest problem is keeping stuff in place during transit. The TD is very light and my trailer suspension quite firm so it bounces quite  a bit on the road meaning that literally everything, even the cutlery within the dividers in the drawer, rearranges itself during the journey. If I were doing it again I would make my own module and consider how everything I wanted to leave in the trailer could be secured for transit.

To combat some of this I have added a vertical plate rack into which plates slot firmly and a magnetic spice/condiment rack to hold jars in place. I’ll take some pictures and post when I next uncover the TD in case they might be of use (it is under cover for the winter so not easily accessible). I also use a Coleman two burner unleaded stove which fits okay in front of the galley module. I attached four sucker feet to it which hold it very firmly in place at all times so it can stay in the galley area during transit but can still be removed for cleaning up if necessary.

Hope the build is going well.
    Andrew

Andrew
    Participant

Plate rack

Andrew
    Participant

Spice rack

Andrew
    Participant

Spice rack

Andrew
    Participant

Drawer

Andrew
    Participant

Drawer

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Andrew.
    Andrew
    Participant

Stove

Andrew
    Participant

Stove

wudboatVT
    Participant

Hey, thanks. I love the suction cups and magnets. Great ideas!

John

madebymike60
    Participant

I considered the CLC galley module and also designing my own but since my electrical takes up the left side of the galley and there’s a pass through window in the middle, anything I made or bought couldn’t be very big. I’ll use a propane camp stove and electric coffee maker but that’s about it so here’s what I made for some storage. The ‘drawers’ are bamboo drawer organizers from Costco and the cubby is designed to fit them. The drawers are 12, 9 or 6 inches long. One of the ten drawers in the set was longer and had to be cut and reglued but that worked fine. There’s room for lots of smaller items in the drawers plus the empty spaces for plates, etc. and I know I’ll need some way for those items not to slide out. The drawers should stay in place because of very thin strips (about 1/32 inch thick) glued in front of where they sit. Rocks from previous vacations are the knobs. A long velcro strap will hold the whole thing in place while driving. It’s not much but I think it, along with a plastic tub or two, will suit my modest cooking (storage) needs.

Daniel
    Participant

Here is what I came up with

madebymike60
    Participant

I had seen your galley pictures before. It looks like it will serve the purpose which should be the goal with whatever you put back there. That’s a handy little coffee maker/oven/griddle combo. Do you like it? I have a 2200 watt inverter so I could run it and the online reviews are generally good. It would possibly save taking two or even three separate things. Also, does the white cabinet stay in place while driving or is it attached in some way you can’t see? My paper towel holder hangs between the lid supports. The left side has a slip knot that makes replacing a roll easier than untying.

Daniel
    Participant

The cabinet is screwed in place through the galley flat, from the sleeping compartment, so it does not go anywhere. Inside, it is packed to max, so the contents do not have space to swing around while driving.

The 3-in-1 cooking station has a heating element of 1000W in it. So far I used it only in camps with provided power, but I plan to install an inverter too.  I am liking it, although it cooks slower than I am used to.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.