Adding Wheels to the Camper Mold

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Adding Wheels to the Camper Mold

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JimBuilt
    Participant

As autumn rapidly advances I have even more desire to be outdoors as much as possible.  My work space is in the garage but I wanted a way to easily move the camper shell around for better access.  Working in the sun is just so much nicer.  I hit on adding some wheels salvaged from a high-wheel lawn mower.  They attach to two support arms cantilevered forward from the longitudinals.  Lifting the camper frame up from the rear about a foot or so brings the entire frame off of the ground and allows you to move it around kind-of wheelbarrow style.  This was a great work around for me so I thought I’d share the idea.  I’ve since moved the camper onto a temporary roller cart as the camper is now flipped over and I’ve  just finished the interior fillets on the floor junction.  I built the roller cart from a “found” loading/shipping pallet.  It also has worked very well and will bring the camper up off of the ground by 14″ or so for easier access when glassing the exterior.Cantilevered Frame Wheels

Here’s a pic of the roller cart.  It ‘aint pretty but it gets the job done.

The “wheel chocks” have holes just a bit smaller than the caster wheel diam.  (I used a 1-3/4″ forstner bit.) This works great. (Those cam locks on the wheel axle never seem to work well.)  The cart is easily raised one end at a time by sliding in a scrap piece of lumber under the loading pallet and leveraging up against the ground “fulcruming” off of the edge of the pallet.  Hope this might help.  Happy Building!

Helibuff
    Participant

Hi Jimbuilt,

A big thank you for your idea , I am just starting a Teardrop build from plans, and I am going to do the thing.

Regards

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.