Reply To: Galley hatch locks

Bill
Participant

Hi Mike, about 5 years ago I built my first teardrop for my daughter and I used two lock handles rather than one. Those worked like a car door, as you pushed down the spring loaded latched itself. After using it I wished I had of done the one center located handle with arms going to either side, it would have worked there but not on this galley unless you grew a third hand or had a helper whenever latching it down. This galley is very flexible and has piston lifts working against you. Both edges would need to be held down in alignment at the same time for a tight compressed seal before you could turn the handle to lock it down. Another consideration is the strength of lift in the pistons might not be strong enough to support all that extra weight. For my daughters I used old type mechanisms like very old cars. Lift it up and it goes into a lock position, lift again and it unlocks and gravity is your friend to close it. By the way, I wanted to mount a solar panel on that hatch but due to weight I also had to nix that idea. Hope this helps.
Bill