I moved where the rubber washers were. In the instruction manual you can see they are between the frame of the trailer and the fender. I think this is a mistake. I’ve moved it to the inside of the fender so the metal washer never touches the fender. It’s much straighter now. Weird design. I’ll call Trailex next week to confirm what I did is the right thing.
Also, jeebus, 80 ft-lbs of torque for the wheel lug nuts. I’ve had to re-calibrate my arm. This feels super tight to me but it is consistent with wheels for cars so I’m pushing the “I believe” button. I torqued the spare to 50 ft-lbs because the bracket isn’t steel, and there is no weight on the spare.