Reply To: Glassing the shell and my OK, not perfect results

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Glassing the shell and my OK, not perfect results Reply To: Glassing the shell and my OK, not perfect results

mpilone
Participant

I heard back from Dillon at CLC and he said that from the pictures it doesn’t look like a structural issue so that’s good news. Our best guess is that it was some combination of:

• Epoxy starting to cure in the heat
  • Moving too fast and not fully saturating the two bottom layers of glass
  • Moving the roller too quickly and introducing micro air bubbles into the epoxy that made it cloudy

He said my two options were to

• sand off 4 inches from each side of the seam and lay consecutive layers of new glass to slowly expand out over the seam and overlap the remaining glass
  • live with it
  • use it as an opportunity for a creative stripe of paint on the seam

Given the amount of time and possibility for mistakes with option 1, I’m going to see how it looks at the end and then get creative!

On the electricity side, I agree that running another circuit usually isn’t a big deal but my garage is detached about 30 feet from the house so I have to trench and bury the line. Not an impossible task but not something I would look forward to in the middle of summer. There are some jobs worth paying someone to do.

-mike