When you first build the doors and hatch cover, the manual has you drill 3/16″ holes in them for #8 bolts and then temporarily fit them with the bolts. Well and good, but it did seem to me that the bolts would not make very good hinge pins. When it came time to actually mount the doors and hatch, I learned that heat shrink is applied to the bolts to prevent chafing. An improvement, but now of course the bolts won’t fit in the holes and I will have to drill them out, removing all the epoxy in there as a consequence. (I did read the manual first, but I guess I was pretty zoned out when I got to that part.) The only thing I know to do now is drill the holes a little large and use Q-tips to get a light coating of epoxy in there. These would have been good candidates for “drill-fill-drill,” which I would have known if I had been reading this forum more diligently.
As a follow-up to my previous post, I found that the #8 bolts with heat shrink measure about 13/64 in diameter. So I drilled the holes in the hinges out to 7/32 and am now in the process of applying 3 coats of epoxy with a Q-tip. I use one end of the Q-tip to apply the epoxy and then the other end to wipe out any excess. If the “hinge pins” won’t go in (epoxy too thick or a blob) I can safely ream the holes with a 13/64 bit.
BTW, I had to cobble up a long extension in order to drill the holes on the most of the hinges, otherwise the drill motor hit part of the body or door, throwing the drill out of alignment. I found some extensions that are part of a quick-connect setup, and had to use two end-to-end in some cases. Needed the 7/32 drill in quick-connect, so I bought a whole set–pretty sweet and the connector mount works with all the quick-connect drills and drivers I already have.