Best trailers for highway speed

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Best trailers for highway speed

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Khemosabi
    Participant

I just started my build today, finally!! I’m looking for the base trailer that will do best for cross country highway speeds. That, I will achieve once out of quarantine. I hope. Anyway, I’ve seen many posts that are older, but would love some new advice. Should I suck it up and pay 1,600 for the clc trailex or are there better options. I have been trying to search the web with little results. Suggestions are appreciated!

smithn00
    Participant

Two years ago I used a Northern Tools trailer .  It has worked well on a few trips from Chattanooga to Florida.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660344_200660344

Khemosabi
    Participant

I looked at that one and under question and answer it says it’s only rated for 45 mph. Have you put different tires on it, or used the ones it comes with? Does that make a difference? Thanks!

smithn00
    Participant

I know most small trailers have this stated warning.  And I would not publicly say the warning is unwarrented.  But I have not had a problem. with highway speeds.  Keep the tires well inflated and the hub greased.

CWStevens
    Participant

Factor in materials in you decision…  The trailex is lightweight aluminum, so no worries about the trailer rusting over time.  I’ve had my trailex at >highway speeds without issues.  <knock on fiberglass/epoxy coated wood>   I do keep an eye on tire pressure and grease my bearings.

western_flyer
    Participant

I put a set of ST (trailer rated) radial tires rated for 65 mph on my Northern Tool trailer. Bought a extra rim for and put one of the OME bias ply tire on as a spare.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.