Glassing the CLC Teardrop storage box

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Glassing the CLC Teardrop storage box

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    derek0
    Participant

Anyone build the CLC storage box? I’m about to put the fiberglass on mine and am wondering if anyone has attempted, or can suggest why one would not try, wrapping the glass around the sides (covering side + front + side + back) and folding the top edge over the inner rim.  This would minimize the size of the “darts” (only 4 small 2″ cuts on the top) and leave only one section of overlapping fiberglass on the back.   The approach presented in the manual involves an extra piece of fabric on the back and requires two large darts to be cut on the vertical edges in the back. I am planning to glass the bottom first, of course, with the requisite overhang on the sides.  I imagine my proposed method could be a challenge to setup, but with judicious use of push pins (?)…could be easier in the long run.  Any thoughts?  Eric?

Eric
    Participant

Derek,

I am planning on CNC cutting / designing my own box, but I understand your question.  The answer depends on whether the circumference of the bottom is the same as the top. If the box is tapered andngets a lot smaller at the top, darts only at the top might not be enough.  The answer is to just try to wrap the cloth as you state with push pins to hold it up.  Even if some conical shape changes the weave direction to bias, you would be fine.  I like your method a lot, and if I could get it wrapped wrinkle free dry, I would do exactly what you have described. I’m with you on this.

derek0
    Participant

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Eric, BUT….  it looks like I would need a 2′ X 9.5′ piece of cloth to get the job done!  I think I’ve got enough scrap cloth leftover from glassing the bottom of the camper to do it in TWO pieces (with a horizontal overlap all the way around) but that seems even less appealing then the CLC-recommended approach.

Eric
    Participant

Yes I am against overlap on the sides, mainly because of the hassle of fairing the overlap, though it can be done to varnish standard.

derek0
    Participant

UPDATE:

I was successful in glassing the box by wrapping the  50″ wide fabric around the sides although my length of fabric was unable to make it all the way around.  In anticipation of running short, I glassed the majority of the back panel (to within an inch of the edges) while glassing the bottom of the box.  This was not the most efficient use of fabric as the box is only about 18″ tall (and using 50″ fabric), but it was necessary due to the tapered nature of the box.  The result was a clean, uninterrupted wrap all the way around with the only overlap being on the back, which will never be seen. I made 4 small darts in the fabric to make the corners on the top edge and pushpins were not required.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.