any advice on installing the headliner?

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum any advice on installing the headliner?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    faithie999
    Participant

I know there is another thread on headliner attachment but I didn’t want to hijack that one.

I plan to use scotch 77 spray adhesive, based on my testing.

but I’m anxious to hear other tips/advice from those who have installed the headliner.

the hymnal calls for 1/2″ roundover on the exposed side of each piece of foam.  sounds pretty aggressive to me, but have others followed that advice and been happy with the result?  or would you recommend 3/8 to start with?

are the numbers next to each panel in the illustration in the hymnal the order of installation front to back?

any other helpful hints?

I’m doing this tomorrow.

thanks in advance

ken

catcamper
    Participant

Did you find the answers to your questions, as we are doing this after varnishing! Thanks:)

faithie999
    Participant

none, other than an offline conversation with one builder who hasn’t yet installed the headliner, where we agreed that starting with the 3/8″ roundover on all the edges of the foam panels seems aggressive.  I’ll post later what I end up doing.  I am going to temporarily hold the panels in place with folded-over masking tape until I’m sure I have the panels edged properly and in the right places.

ken

rovineye
    Participant

I installed headliner yesterday. It went easier than I thought it would. I dry fit one side, trimmed with scissors, 1/2″ routered (3/8 would have been ideal) edge. I glued that side in place with can of contact cement applied with roller, and chip brush in corners, then went to the other side.

I started with middle and worked out and down. Pieces can be trimmed a little on the large size as they can be wedge in easily. I had newspaper on hand to place pieces during final attachment but didn’t need them.

Only one gap, and it was the very first pieces I attached, and pretty small. I may fill in, or not. Took less than 4 hours and more than a quart of glue.

faithie999
    Participant

rovineye–thanks for your tips.  I will go with 3/8 roundover.  I thought 1/2 sounded aggressive.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.