Reply To: Galley hatch gas springs starting to fail

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Galley hatch gas springs starting to fail Reply To: Galley hatch gas springs starting to fail

faithie999
Participant

(sorry–I didn’t see mike’s reply above before replying–and mike found a much better deal on the springs than I did!)

I encountered this problem earlier in the fall, when we got the first blast of cold weather.  thanks to the ideal gas law, we know that the pressure of a fixed volume of gas decreases with temperature.

the gas springs that CLC provides with the TD kit have 20lb of force.  I had an email exchange with Dillon at CLC who said their testing on the prototype determined that 2 20lb springs were sufficient.

I bought 2 30lb springs, and started by replacing one of the 20’s with a 30.  that provided sufficient opening force in my situation, so I didn’t replace the other one.

I would recommend you try the same thing.  IIRC, I bought it from amazon for a reasonable price.  they are made by Attwood, and the model number you want is SL34-30-5.

the trick to removing the spring is to find the small plastic c-clip at each end of the arm.  they are about 3/8″ wide.  use a screwdriver to gently pry the clip outward while pulling the spring gently away from its mounting pin.  when you have the clip pried out enough the spring will disconnect.

ken

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by faithie999.
  • This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by faithie999.