Reply To: Blank vent solution

Bill
Participant

Comccoy, sorry you had this trouble, I should have given more info on this problem. I wanted less friction from the nylon lock nut and was aware of sharp edges causing your problem. Before gluing the nuts in place I tested and worked them in a vice on my bench first. First I used a fine stone on my grinder to chanfer the cut end and had a nut on before I cut it to length. I then removed the nut to clean the cut threads. Next I put the nylon lock nut in the vice and ran a tap of the same thread size through it with my small drill reversing it a few times. I then used a small drop of lub on threads to ease the friction and made sure no lub ended on the part of the nut where it was to be glued. Took a lot of time but it did avoid any jamming. Don’t know if I mentioned it but my first idea was to thread the extra length of door rod I had left over rather than buy some ss threaded rod because it was the correct dia. Try as I might I was not able to cut threads because the ss galled up in the die every time, ss is very touchy to machine.

Bill