Transom hatch?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    mudfud
    Participant

Anyone built one?

i know that structurally I will need to reinforce, especially under the galley, but I am more concerned with waterproofing.

Don’t want to just install a marine hatch. Would like to keep the wood look.

Thx

chewy in Berkeley CA

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by mudfud. Reason: Misspelled hatch
    jmb_builds
    Participant

Have not built one into my camper, but designed some for ocean going ships. You need some gasket between your hatch cover and the coaming, I assume that’s clear. Then you need to apply sufficient pressure evenly across the whole gasket area to prevent water ingress. On the CLC kayaks, they use small toggles, but I doubt they will be able to sustain highway speed and vibration.  Depending on the purpose of the hatch, I believe the design can become quite complex. How do you want to use it? Escape hatch? Additional ventilation? To be opened from the inside, outside, or both? So many questions 😉

mudfud
    Participant

Just for loading stuff easily from the outside. Sleeping bags, duffle, and to make it easier to clean out.

I was thinking of cutting a square opening then building a rim and using some kind of weather stripping on the door that compress with locking latches, hinged at the bottom?

jmb_builds
    Participant

Sounds good! I would fit a rim to the hatch cover in order to reinforce it, and to have a ‘pressure edge’ (non-english writer here, so I’m not sure about the exact term) that creates some interlocking with the seal. I doubt that an all-flat cover would be waterproof for long.

mudfud
    Participant

Yes. I thought a reinforcing rim, to stiffen the piece, would be needed

i will post pix if I get the nerve to do this.

thanks!

venableme
    Participant

Were you able to work out a system?

I am thinking about making a door in transom as extra galley space: water and such.  We are short and don’t need as much foot room.

mudfud
    Participant

I did not cut the extra hatch. Figured there was enough access, and I didn’t want to effect the strength.

I did, however, make a box underneath, similar to the one they sell, with marine hatches on the side, which really provides lots of extra storage space. 

pwebster25
    Participant

Got any pics of your box underneath?

mudfud
    Participant

mudfud
    Participant

having trouble w uploads from phone

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by mudfud.
    pwebster25
    Participant

Thanks for sharing.  How do you access your boxes?  I don’t see doors or hatches in the side.  I assume drawers in the back, but…

Do you have floor access?

How well has yours sealed?

mudfud
    Participant

mudfud
    Participant

mudfud
    Participant

I didn’t want to cut through the floor. Sealed w automotive type stick on bead.

mostly water resistant

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.