Mattress Options

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bob D.
    Participant

Are there any recommendations for mattresses?  While a 10″ thick Casper may fit in the camper, I have a feeling that my legs won’t fit after it is put in.    I’m about 200 to 210 pounds and tend to bottom out on air mattresses, although I never tried with an inch of EPP foam under them.

Thoughts?

• This topic was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Bob D..
    Eric
    Participant

Acting on the suggestion of another forum member, I got two Thermorest Mondo King 3D mattresses. They are 4″ high and selfinflating. You can adjust firmness. I have very good experience with much thinner Thermorest. The downside: cost ($210 each).

derek0
    Participant

I’m planning to go old-school futon in mine.  I haven’t tried it yet, but I think a queen sized futon will fit with just a bit of reshaping/ shifting of the stuffing to get the fit right in the corners.  Looking at getting some 2″ EVA foam to provide some insulation and a little cushion, and putting the 4″ futon on top of that.  $350 total for all new, quality materials.

JakeM
    Participant

Good Question!  I made a 2″ foam pad out of some foam I found at a surplus store.  After sleeping in it for a few nights I decided it isn’t nearly comfortable enough.

I ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Kamp-Rite-Queen-Self-Inflating-Pad/dp/B004M0YYEC

I think that is the same mattress that CLC used in their model trailer.  I’m supposed to receive it tomorrow, so i’ll let you know how it sleeps!

JakeM
    Participant

I received the mattress that I linked to in my above post and finally slept on it last night.  I’m really impressed! I was expecting it to be more like an air mattress but really it is just a 4″ dense foam in an airtight sleeve.   Last night it was just below freezing here and the mattress helped keep me warm as well as being very comfortable.  Usually I can’t sleep in while I’m camping but I didn’t wake up until 9AM.   My wife liked it as well.

Here’s a photo my wife took:

Bob D.
    Participant

I’m sold.  Thanks!

JakeM
    Participant

No problem.  One disclaimer: the mattress comes really compressed to fit in the box, and so after you take it out and unscrew the opening for the sleeve it takes several days for the foam to “inflate” to its actual thickness.  So don’t expect to sleep on it right after you get it!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.