Tagged: 

This topic contains 50 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  friz 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author

apkley
    Participant

We read @faithie999‘s post about the 3M 77 from several months ago, and it was very informative. We debated long about the best solution for us.  I will say the 3M would absolutely be the most cost effective.  We ultimately went with the Velcro because we intend to cover each panel with some sort of cloth to hide any nicks or scratches that will inevitably happen.  There isn’t a timeline for that add-on, so we erred on the side of caution for an absolutely removable option.

As for a sunny day melting the adhesive, it could be possible but I’m not convinced (yet – although I admit my local temps are currently in the teens).  The adhesive is very strong as it is marketed to hold tools, presumably in an outside shed which would be subjected to the same temp changes as the camper.

In the end, if it does melt off… then I get a second shot at it as will probably go with 3M.

szerby
    Participant

I installed the CLC headliner kit with Super 77.  After 1.5 week trip in the southwest the foam seems to have shrunken a bit – the foam panels where tight against each other, and now there is a 1/4″ to 1/2″ gap on almost all the panels.    Has anyone else seen this?

apkley
    Participant

@szerby: we have had the headliner installed for about 6 months now.  We installed them in Oklahoma, but have since moved to Missouri.  We have not noticed any shrinking of the panels like what you describe…but the temps have not been excessive (comparative to the southwest).

However, as an update to my previous post about the headliner installation:  While I kept it out of direct sunlight and covered while not in use, the ambient temperatures (highest mid-90’s) have been hot enough to cause the glue on the HD velcro pieces to melt, causing the panels to detach and bow in some areas.  There doesn’t seem to be any damage to the panels or shell.  It is a minor inconvenience for now, but we definitely plan to re-attach the panels with a more permanent solution (thinking the 3m 77 stuff).  Also, as someone else pointed out to me, the gap between the panels and shell still results in condensation, but it is not a large concern due to the epoxy on the inside.  Live and learn.

For those still considering how to mount the headliner, the velcro did allow me to achieve what I wanted – it just didn’t have any durability.

abrightwell
    Participant

Thanks for the update. I had also considered the HD velcro approach, but I was concerned about condensation build up between the foam and the shell due to the gap. My concern was not for the wood but more of mold and mildew forming behind it. I guess that wouldn’t be a terrible issue since you could still remove it and clean every now and then. I’ve used this velcro inside my kayak cockpit for years, but I always complement the adhesive with contact cement which seems to stand up to the abuse. At any rate, I’m getting ready to do my liner and might just go the 3M 77 route as well. Again, thanks for the update, it’s helpful.

friz
    Participant

Fake suede, check. 1/4 inch foam, check. Spray adhesive, check. Passed adhesive test, check. I’ll keep you all posted.

ArtisticAdam
    Participant

Is that 1/4″ rigid construction foam you plan to use for the headliner?

friz
    Participant

Yes

friz
    Participant

Here we go.

friz
    Participant

Getting started. I have a wedding to go to this afternoon. Dont know when I will be back on task.

friz
    Participant

friz
    Participant

This is as far as I could get with the fabric I had.

greenninja51502
    Participant

That looks pretty cool Friz.

western_flyer
    Participant

I would insert here that there is a variety of adhesives used on Velcro. I do mean Velcro and not generic hook and loop. Some of the acrylic adhesives used on some Velcro is rated in excess of 200 deg F.  The rubber based adhesives used on  most fabric store Velcro and velcro knock off hook and loops have much lower temperature ratings.

I’m not at the headliner step just yet but Velcro is very much in consideration.

tejonmelero
    Participant

I like the idea with the rigid foam. I thought about doing that initially but was concerned it would snap before making the curve. I ended up buying the CLC headliner and plan to cover it with some material as you did. If i saw this before I may have ended up going the route you did friz. Looking good so far.

friz
    Participant

Next will be the doors and the footwell. Honestly the only reason I felt comfortable tackling this job was because I was already familiar with the materials. I used to build RC planes out of this foam and spray glue.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.