This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  ArtisticAdam 3 days, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1644

    Dan
    Participant

    Minor progress. Some sanding and beginning placement of #3 panels. More to come!

    #1650

    Dan
    Participant

    Much better on the fillets this time. Still had issues with my un-thickened epoxy setting too quickly, but that’s just because I was mixing too much at once and wasn’t keeping the environment warm enough. It started gelling and I didn’t get full saturation right above the door. That’s when I went and mixed a fresh batch. Later, I will come back and sand that down more to do some re-glassing. More lessons learned.

    Onward to the port side!

    #1666

    Dan
    Participant

    Bulkhead and hatch stiffener epoxied in place. Fillets are looking better and better. Also, I did a nice job filleting and glassing the port-side seams (not pictured). Pre-cutting darts in the fiberglass tape was key.

    • This reply was modified 4 days, 23 hours ago by  Dan.
    #1667

    Dan
    Participant

    I’m going to have issues getting the galley flat into position. It gets stuck here. Any recommendations?

    #1669

    faithie999
    Participant

    this is one of the mysteries of the TD build.  there are a couple of other threads that address this.  there is something about the geometry of the gallery flat relative to the sides that prevents it from going into its location without a lot of force.

    when I was dry fitting it, ONE time it slipped into place but I couldn’t reproduce that phenomenon.  so, I sanded about 1/16 off each side, which permitted me to get it into place, but then there was a 1/16″ gap on both sides!!  go figure!

    the good news is that after applying the fillets, top and bottom, the oversized gap was filled and all was well.

    ken

    #1670

    abrightwell
    Participant

    I had about the same experience as @faithie999. Except, I got it to magically slip in twice, once for a dry fit and once for the final install. Don’t ask me how it happened, because I have no idea. Interestingly enough, despite the difficulty I had trying to get it in every other time, once it was in, it was a loose fit. So much so that I was a bit concerned about the ‘peanut butter’ ending up on the other side… so I made it a bit ‘thicker’ for that fillet. 😉

    #1671

    ArtisticAdam
    Participant

    I only needed a little bit of tweaking/sanding maybe 1/16 on one side of the galley flat. This was mainly due to some extra thickness caused by my taped seam. What I learned is #1 DON’T force it or you risk the veneer on the bottom of the galley flat blowing out. #2 make sure you take out any copper stitches that my be in the way…I took a few extras out of the side so the shell could flex a little more. #3 lift the lower side of the galley flat about 1in from where it is in your picture. Have it sit at the apex of the glass joint (the widest spot of the shell), then  slip  the higher side down.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.