This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  burlinghamburger 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

rovineye
    Participant

I noticed that about the door screws as well. I thought maybe I didn’t place hinge parts close enough , who knows. I live next to a Tacoma Screw store, so I have good access to hardware. I am undecided if I will get longer ones or use locktite.

rovineye
    Participant

Just got back from a 3500 mile road trip. Absolutely nothing came loose, broke or failed. I did have a few modifications I need to make.

There is a gap in my insulation at the bulkhead, which I need to fill to reduce condensation in that area. I will also make some inserts for the door/window to reduce condensation there when conditions require. We just stuck pillows between the window and strap which did great to reduce condensation and a bit more insulation when it was 26 deg. We had no heat but used sleeping bags then, and that did fine. Wife won’t let me run the fan because she just hates fans, so condensation was always present but not extreme or too bothersome. Later I left my door unlatched which let a bit more air in and really made a difference. All in all we were very cozy from 26 in Rogue River to the 70s at the San Diego beaches.

26 Deg Rogue River

I am also going to add some yellow side running lights to make the trailer more visible in miserable road conditions. And we did hit some of those conditions. Hundreds of miles of snow and then slush on the freeway. The trailer pulled like a champ behind our subaru outback.

I had mounted the front mushroom vents on #2 vice #1 panels, to make sure they didn’t get blocked by the wife’s mountain of pillows, and I thought they looked better there. Well that put them right in the slush zone! In the end there was only a few ounces of water that came through doors and vents, I assume from snow buildup mostly. I was OK with that. When I washed the Hopitat today, I really soaked it and nothing leaked, with the exception of a tablespoon or so in the back corner of the galley. Really happy about that and will not change anything.

I-5 Slush

burlinghamburger
    Participant

rovineye, I really like the “Hopitat” sticker you put on your TD and am leaning towards labeling mine as well. I’ve had special stickers made for car windows before, is that was you did? Did you have to put any type of seal on it or anything?

rovineye
    Participant

It’s just vinyl lettering made for boats. It is installed just using soapy water and a stiff squeegee kind of scraper. Super easy. They can be ordered at CLC or many marine supply places. No sealant required. Easiest part of the entire project!

CLC link and installation video. http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boat-building-supplies-epoxy-fiberglass-plywood/vinyl-boat-lettering/

burlinghamburger
    Participant

Ah sweet. I’m sure I can find someone up here that can do mine up

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.